Sunday 7 July 2013

First Impressions: Fate/kaleid liner PRISMA☆ILLYA & Kiniro Mosaic

Another twofer for this post, since I watched both of these anime relatively close to each other. Naturally, featuring more female protagonists, but hey, what can ya do?

First was Fate/kaleid liner PRISMA☆ILLYA. A very much lighter and softer spinoff of Fate/Stay Night, doing the whole magical girl thing. Don't expect any dark elements from this though, I think. I think there's a manga, but I haven't read that so I'm not sure what tone this anime will have.
This anime is sickly-sweet. If you are aware of anime at all, you probably know how Puella Magi Madoka Magica "done for magical girls what Evangelion did for giant robots" to paraphrase a magazine. However, this is a magical girl anime that ignores all that genre-busting stuff. I've seen it being compared to CardCaptor Sakura, so take that as you will.
As for my thoughts on it, well... I think The Sun Penetrates the Illusions will be my favourite magical girl anime this season, although I will probably continue watching this one for the novelty of seeing an alternate Fate/Stay Night universe. However, I'm not expecting too much out of it.

Next is Kiniro Mosaic. This anime is about a Japanese girl, Shinobu, who spent some time in England with a family, and befriended their daughter, Alice. Shinobu returns to Japan, but then Alice goes over there as well to stay with Shinobu.
Now, since this anime has a bit set in England, the voice actors had to speak a few lines of English. Japanese people and the English language don't tend to mix very will, although Alice's voice actress had passable English. At one point Alice's mother asked if she was going to finish her desert, rather than dessert, and there were a few other bits of Engrish, such as the Ls and Rs.
Anyway, I didn't think the anime itself was that bad, but I really love seeing my home country through foreign eyes. Shinobu and Alice are likable characters, and it seems this is just another anime that I can just switch off in front of.
As for the English, Alice miraculously becomes fluent in Japanese towards the end of the episode, so I don't know if we'll get to hear any more of that Engrish.

Kiniro Mosaic was nice, and Fate/kaleid liner PRISMA☆ILLYA was I'll suppose I'll continue watching it since I have the time to do so.

So far, out of the new anime this season, Senki Zesshou Symphogear G is my favourite. However, if we want to talk completely new anime, my vote would be with Stella Woman's Academy, High School Class Division C3. I also believe the Sun Penetrates the Illusions has potential, although I'll need a few more episodes before I can decide for sure.

Ah, that brings me on to my final point. For any given anime, I will give it three episodes to catch my interest. If I don't have any interest by the time the third episode's credits roll around, I'll probably never both with it again. So, maybe, in a couple of week's time, I'll post up my opinions about each anime so far and whether I shall continue with them or not.

No comments:

Post a Comment