Friday 19 July 2013

First Impressions: RWBY

And now for an impression of something that isn't technically an anime. TV Tropes describes it as an "Animesque CGI production from Rooster Teeth, animated by Monty Oum." Now, I'm only slightly aware of one of Rooster Teeth's work, Red vs. Blue.
Monty Oum, however, has produced a couple of things I'm more familiar with. The first is Haloid, an animation of a Spartan from the Halo series of video games fighting Samus Aran. The next is Dead Fantasy,  a series of animations featuring characters from Final Fantasy and Dead or Alive beating the living daylights out of each other. Both Haloid and Dead Fantasy are epic, action-packed animations, which is why learning that Monty Oum had created this got me interested in RWBY.

Time for my thoughts on it, I guess...

There are four trailers, one for each character. The title is formed from the first letter of each character's colour; Red for Ruby Rose, White for Weiss Schnee, Black for Blake Belladonna, and Yellow for Yang Xiao Long.
All the trailers feature the characters fighting, and are definitely worth checking out. The music isn't too bad either, and available on iTunes.

I've also seen the first episode, which served as Ruby Rose's introduction. So far, from the character trailers and this episode, Ruby Rose is my favourite character, although my preference of the colour red might factor in to that... Then again, Ruby Rose's scythe/gun combo thing was badass.

With new episodes released every Thursday, I'll be keeping an eye on this one. Admittedly it'll be mostly for the action scenes, although I think it's a little too early to judge the story just yet. The voice acting isn't exactly perfect, but it doesn't ruin the experience.

There you go, my opinion on RWBY (that's pronounced 'ruby', by the way).

No comments:

Post a Comment